Title: Baba Ganoush
Categories: Crowd, Kitpath, Moosewood, Vegetarian
Yield: 24 Servings
9 1/2 lb Eggplants
2 c Fresh lemon juice
2 c Tahini
12 md Garlic cloves; minced, or
-more to taste
1 c Fresh parsley; finely
1 tb Salt
12 Pita bread rounds; lightly
-toasted and halved
3 lb Feta cheese; crumbled (3
1. Pierce the skins of the eggplants several times and place them on a
baking sheet. Bake at 400F for 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until the outsides
crinkle and the insides become very soft.
2. When the eggplants are cool enough to handle, scoop out the insides.
3. Using a food processor puree the pulp with the lemon juice, tahini,
garlic, parsley, and salt until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
4. Line a warmed pita pocket with leaf lettuce, spoon in the baby and serve
as is, or, if desired, top with a sprinkling of feta cheese.
Meal Planning: *preparation Time: 15 minutes; Baking Time: 40 minutes.
Serve with soup or salad. *Smoky eggplant flavor and creamy texture of
tahini with lemon also makes a good dip with crudites. Prepare as a side
dish for a Middle Eastern Combo Plate with Hummus (79) or White Bean Dip
(87) and Carrot Salad (p321) *For a nondairy alternative, top with chopped
fresh tomatoes, chopped black olives, and alfalfa sprouts. Per 6-oz serving
with pita: 247 cals, 11.3 g fat, 496 mg sodium.
Recipe From: Moosewood Restaurant Cooks for a Crowd: Recipes with a
Vegetarian Emphasis for 24 or More, by The Moosewood Collective, John Wiley
& Sons, (1996). | 07/13/97 Contact kitPATh firstname.lastname@example.org
Recipe by: Moosewood for a Crowd