Title: Bacon and Double Cheese Quiche
Yield: 8 Servings
1 1/3 c All-purpose flour
1/8 ts Salt
1 Stick chilled butter; cut
-into small pieces
2 -(up to)
3 tb Cold water
10 sl Lean bacon
4 lg Eggs
1 1/2 c Light cream
1/4 ts Dried thyme
1/8 ts White pepper
1/2 c Shredded Gruyere cheese
1/2 c Shredded white Cheddar
1. To prepare the crust, in a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt.
Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until coarse crumbs
2. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork, until a dough
forms. Shape into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, using a
lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the
dough into 11-inch circle. Fit into a 9-inch pie pan. Trim edge, leaving
1/4-inch overhang. Fold under to form standup edge. Prick dough with a
fork. Line with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
4. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and weights. Bake until lightly
golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. Meanwhile, prepare filling. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over
medium heat until crisp, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, thyme, and pepper. Pour
into crust. Crumble bacon. Sprinkle the egg mixture with the bacon, Gruyere
cheese and Cheddar cheese. Bake until golden and custard is set, about 30
minutes. Serve warm.
FROM “GREAT AMERICAN HOME
From a collection of my mother’s (Judy Hosey) recipe box which contained
lots of her favorite recipes, clippings, etc. Downloaded from Glen’s MM
Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey.