Title: Baked Brie En Croute with Tomato Chutney
Categories: Appetizers, Cheese
Yield: 1 Servings
1 lb Package frozen puff pastry
17 1/4 oz Wheel brie; chilled
2 1/2 c Tomato chutney; see recipe
1 lg Egg; lightly beaten
1. On a lightly floured surface roll out 1 sheet of pastry 1/8-inch thick
(about 15 inches in diameter) and, using Brie as a guide, cut out 1 round
the size of the Brie.
2. With a 2 3/4-inch star shaped cutter cut out 5 stars from trimmings.
Reserve pastry round and stars.
3. Halve Brie horizontally. Roll out remaining sheet of pastry 1/8-inch
thick (about 15 inches in diameter) and transfer to a shallow baking pan,
about 15 1/2 by 10 1/2 inches.
4. Center bottom half of Brie, cut side up, on pastry in pan and spread 1/2
cup tomato chutney to within 1/2 inch of Brie edge.
5. Top chutney with remaining half of Brie, cut side down.
6. Without stretching pastry, wrap up over Brie and trim excess to leave a
1-inch border on top of Brie.
7. Brush border with some egg and top with reserved pastry round, pressing
edges of dough together gently but firmly to seal.
8. Brush top of pastry with some remaining egg and arrange reserved stars
decoratively on it. Lightly brush stars with some remaining egg, being
careful not to let egg drip over edges of stars, which would prevent them
9. With the back of a table knife gently score side of pastry with vertical
marks, being careful not to piece dough. Chill Brie, uncovered, 30 minutes
to set egg wash. Brie may be made to this point 1 day ahead and kept
chilled, covered loosely.
10. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake Brie in middle of oven 20 minutes, or
until puffed and golden. Let Brie stand in pan on a rack about 20 minutes
for very runny melted cheese, about 40 minutes for thicker melted cheese,
and serve with remaining tomato chutney.
Yield: 15 to 20 as part of a buffet
Posted to recipelu-digest Volume 01 Number 381 by RecipeLu
on Dec 16, 1997