Title: Baked Spanish Rice
Categories: Casseroles, Rice
Yield: 6 Servings
4 sl Bacon
1 c Onions; chopped
1/2 c Green pepper; diced
16 oz Canned tomatoes
8 oz Tomato sauce
2 ts Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
1 1/3 c Long-grain rice
1/2 c Cheddar cheese; shredded
1. In skillet over med, fry bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels,
crumble, and set aside. Pour off all but 2 tbsp drippings.
2. In hot drippings, cook onions and pepper until tender.
3. Drain tomato liquid into measuring cup. Add water to make 1 3/4 cups.
Cut up tomatoes.
4. To onion mixture, add liquid, tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar and salt.
Heat to boiling.
5. Remove from heat and stir in rice. Pour into greased 1 1/2-qt
Cover and bake at 350F for 35 mins or until rice is tender and liquid
6. Fluff rice with fork. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 more mins.
Garnish with bacon. Per 1 of 6 servings: 269 calories
My notes: I made so many changes (2/98) it’s hardly the same recipe. I
omitted bacon (good) and tomato sauce (okay but not great), added extra
water to make up for the sauce, added garlic (minced, in with the onion),
and italian seasonings for flavour.
Contributor: “Good Housekeeping Ill. Cookbook” (1989)
Posted to recipelu-digest by Cathleen on Feb 16, 1998