Title: Basic Stir-Fried Beef #2
Yield: 4 Servings
1/2 lb Lean beef
1 lb Vegetables
2 sl Fresh ginger root
1 Clove garlic
1 Scallion stalk
1 tb Cornstarch
1 tb Sherry
2 tb Soy sauce
1 1/2 tb Oil
1 1/2 tb Oil
1/2 c Stock
1. Slice beef thin against the grain. Slice vegetables. Mince ginger root.
Crush or mince garlic. Cut scallion stalk in 1-inch sections.
2. Blend cornstarch, sherry and soy sauce.
3. Heat oil. Add ginger root, garlic and scallion and stir-fry a few times.
Add beef and stir-fry until it loses its redness (about 2 minutes). Remove
4. Heat remaining oil. Add vegetables and stir-fry to heat and coat with
5. Stir in stock and heat quickly. Cook, covered, over medium heat, until
vegetables are nearly done.
6. Return beef, stir-frying to reheat and blend flavors. Then stir in
cornstarch mixture to thicken. Serve at once.
NOTE: Any vegetable can be used. See “Cooking Instructions for Specific
Vegetables” for cooking time; see “Suggested Vegetable Combinations” for
possible combinations. VARIATIONS:
In step 3, add with the ginger root, etc., 1 tablespoon fermented black
beans (soaked), mashed; or 1 tablespoon brown bean sauce, mashed.
Cook the vegetables first (as in steps 4 and 5 ) and remove from pan. Then
stir-fry the beef (as in step 3). Stir in the sherry and soy sauce (omit
the cornstarch). Then return vegetables, stir-frying to reheat and blend
From , ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded
from Glen’s MM Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey.