Title: Toffee-Topped Bars
Yield: 24 Servings
2 c Firmly packed brown sugar
2 c All-purpose flour
1 Stick butter or margarine;
1 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Vanilla extract
1 c Milk
1 c Semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c Chopped walnuts
1/4 c Unsweetened flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan;
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the brown sugar and flour.
3. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in the butter until mixture
resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 1 cup of mixture and set aside.
4. To mixture in large bowl, add baking powder and salt. Using a fork,
lightly beat in vanilla, milk and egg.
5. Continue beating until a smooth batter forms. Pour batter into prepared
6. In a small bowl, combine the chocolate chips and walnuts. Fold in the
7. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over top of batter in pan. Sprinkle
with the chocolate chips and walnuts.
8. Using a long flat spatula, spread topping evenly over the top of the
batter in pan.
9. Bake bars for 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in center comes out
10. Transfer pan to a wire rack. Cool bars in pan completely before
11. Using a serrated knife, cut into 24 bars. Store in airtight container
for up to 5 days.
FROM “GREAT AMERICAN HOME
From a collection of my mother’s (Judy Hosey) recipe box which contained
lots of her favorite recipes, clippings, etc. Downloaded from Glen’s MM
Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey.